Monday, 2 January 2017

Looking Back at 2016


About the past year, I'm in two minds. In some ways, this year feels as if it's gone in a flash, yet this time last year feels as though it was ages ago. A lot has happened in 2016. Many people say this has been a bad year, one to forget. It's definitely been a tough ride at times but, for me, there's been lots of special memories from this year that will definitely stick with me forever.

Throughout the past year, a lot has happened. I'm happy with the way that my confidence has grown compared to this time last year and the way that I've stepped out of my comfort zone much more often. Many times this year, I've almost said no to doing something that I was feeling anxious over - but I did it anyway and ended up enjoying it, glad that I went. One aim for 2017 is to try and keep that up and try more things.

In the sense of friendships, 2016 has been a special one. The internet, especially this blog, has connected me to some people who, now, are some of my closest friends. Some of us started writing to each other which I love - Marti, Rosie, Lauren, Megan, looking at you! Having penpals is something that began for me early on last year and was a big part of my 2016. Letters mean so much, especially because you know that someone has taken the time to sit and write to you. When I hear the clatter of the letter box, I love knowing there's an envolope inside to open.
Loving art is a big part of who I am, and 2016 has held so much creativity. Starting in January, I joined a weekly sewing class, having never used a sewing machine before. I'm still going there, loving it, and I've learnt so much. This next year holds some exciting stuff because some of us have been entered into the YoungQuilters sewing competition which I can't wait for. From a photography perspective, I'm still far from an expert but I'm learning so much and I've improved since this time last year. I recently brought a camera which I know that I'll have fun experimenting with in the new year.
A new year indicates a new start. For me, 2017 is going to be full of changes. It's my last few months of school, my sixteenth birthday, my GCSEs, and the year where I'll be thinking about what to do next. I'm also so excited to try new things with this blog. July will mark my second year of blogging and it's now a huge part of my life!

What are you most excited for about 2017?

Related Articles

19 comments :

  1. Beth, this has to be one of the most lovely blog posts I had read in a long time! I loved how honest it was and the beautiful photographs also! I have loved getting to know you over this past year and can say proudly that you are one of my closest and dearest friends. What you said about snail mail is exactly how I feel, so much so that I couldn't have phrased it better myself!

    I hope that 2017 brings better things for both yourself and your family and even if it doesn't, what only doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

    Lots of love, Marti xxxxx
    http://pinksmartiesblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much, Marti! I've loved getting to know you. All the best for 2017, thank you so much for all of your support over the past year xxxxx

      Delete
  2. I really want to start writing letters to my friends for the exact same reason that you mentioned! Have a wonderful 2017 xx
    http://www.blossomofhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, it's so special! Thank you so much, & you xx

      Delete
  3. Couldn't agree more with your words on 2016! I've also grown so much in confidence and have moments I am going to remember forever, best of luck with your GCSEs! I got through mine so I'm sure you'll do wonderfully and Happy 16th Birthday (trust me, it's one to be enjoyed) xo

    emsirose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good that you've grown in confidence as well! Thank you so much, have a great new year xx

      Delete
  4. This was such a beautiful post, Beth! The photographs are gorgeous, by the way. I'm so happy you've grown more with your confidence and improving with anxiety- that's great, and something to be really proud of, as it isn't easy to do for everyone! I've loved being your penpal and blogging buddy this year, it's been so fun :) Your art and craft projects sound so awesome too, good luck for your sewing thing you're entered in! I hope you have a truly amazing 2017 as you deserve it for being a gorgeous and wonderful friend and blogger. It sounds like you have lots of exciting things to look forward to- best of luck!

    Rosie x
    rosiemaearoha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Rosie. All the same to you! Thank you for all of your support, especially the last few months, you've been amazing! Hope you have the perfect 2017 xxxxx

      Delete
  5. 2017 i sa huge year for me too; I also am about to do my GCSEs and like you said I have found new confidence in 2016. I have always been a confident person but in the last six months especially I have become more motivated, more wise, less afraid of objective viewpoints regarding my appearance. This was an awesome post!!

    Thank you for commenting on my blog - I'm having a lot of trouble replying to comments right now but you should definitely read Jodi Picoult, I love her books they are simply amazing!!!

    Thank you // Jeani

    www.jeanithoughts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's okay, love your blog! So good that you've found new confidence! Good luck with your GCSEs & all the best for 2017 xx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Beth! I hope 2017 brings a lot of good things to you!

    Alice x
    girlabroad.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Beth! I really enjoyed reading your reflection of 2016. It's great to hear some positivity surrounding the year that hasn't exactly been the best year overall. It sounds like there were some amazing moments for you, the sewing class as sounds like an amazing project! I've nevr been to a sewing class but as I tgink U said in my most rexent letter, I enjoyed taking part in a sewing project last year and I hope to try a few more this year. I'm glad that you've enjoyed penpalling, it's something that I have loved taking part in too! I hope that 2017 treats you well and that you enjoy continuing creative hobbies like photography and sewing! I'm most excited for learning calligraphy in the new year, keeping a bullet journal and putting a new desk in my room! Good luck with your GCSEs too! 😊

    megansmegablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your letter arrived yesterday, thank you so much! I've loved having you as a penal in the last year! Hope 2017 is a brilliant year for you - everything you're up to sounds great - I love calligraphy. Thanks, Megan. xx

      Delete
  8. Sending letters is definitely a great idea- I would really like to try it myself! 2016 had a lot of highs and lows for me, but I think I've gained more than what I've lost. I hope you have a great year ahead :):)
    ~Nurah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love writing letters. Thank you for commenting & have the best 2017! xx

      Delete
  9. It's so nice to hear about your confidence growing more, I wish you all the best this year! xox

    awaywiththefairiesblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute post! Looking forward to these new things and surprises, wishing you a great year!
    Hannah x
    https://abitofspring.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Beth! I know that I've already commented on this post but I just thought that I'd let you know that I'm currently running a giveaway on my blog if you're interested. I hope that 2017 is treating you well so far! xxx

    megansmegablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - I'd love to hear your opinions. :) x

Powered by Blogger.